Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day trip to the Lakes





This weekend we had another beautiful sunny almost summer day. After breakfast, hubby and I discussed what we wanted to do for the day. We have been having a cycle of rain for two days then sunshine for one day then rain, so any day with sun we welcome it with open arms! After a few suggestions we came up with a day trip to the small town of Imotksi to see the red and blue lakes. Located about 100km from Split, Imotski is home to the largest sinkhole lakes in Croatia/Europe.

We started with the 20 minute hike down to the blue lake. There is a very nice stone trail which goes almost all the way down to the lake . We saw a few wild berries, which I was curious to try but I didn't. When we reached the bottom of the lake we were surrounded by a beautiful view of bright blue water and cliffs. We tried guessing the depth of the lake (we read that during the summer months, it frequently dries up but in the spring the water levels can reach up to 90 meters when the snow from the Bosnian mountains melt.) We then had a picnic; homemade fig butter, fresh bread from the bakery, cheese, some meat for hubby and grapes we picked at the farm before heading to the red lake.
The red lake was only a few minutes away. As you can see from the photo, there is no access to the bottom of the lake, and you can only see it from a small viewing platform on the road.
This is one adventurous man going across the lake.

I was expecting to see a 'red' lake so I can't even begin to describe what I saw. The lake was shaped like a well and the colors were mesmerizing! Hubby explained the lake is named after the reddish-brown color of the surrounding cliffs and the color of the lake changes depending on the time of the day. It's said that it's impossible to throw a stone into the lake, we tried and tried but didn't succeed.
So if you have the opportunity, visit Imotski and the lakes, grab a few rocks and try to throw them into the lake. I guarantee you will enjoy it and like hubby you will be saying, " just one more try, one more."

12 comments:

  1. Adventurous too, huh?! How nice! :-) It looks like it was a fun day out. Nice to see you and hubby together too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh those are such a wonderful views...I love day trips:) Kisses,sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never get over the wonderfully beautiful places that you day trip to. Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery and your picnic sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poetess it was a beautiful day for being outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana thank you. I love day trips as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, Croatia is a such a diverse country for being so small. I love traveling to new towns/cities and parks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IM and I made that fig butter after all. it was delicious on fresh bread. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, I adore these pictures! I love seeing one of you and your hubby - I haven't seen a picture of him yet. The two of you look so happy together :) I love how many outdoors-y things you always post pictures of - you're making me dream of trips to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so lucky to be close to all these amazing places! I think I could spend months in Croatia- there's just so many hidden gems!

    ReplyDelete
  11. once again BINGOOO, as you see things another way than I do.
    and lucky enough many times your camera is between your eye and the world around you.
    keep looking, keep sharing !!!

    if interested, see: www.modrojezero.org, both in english and croatian and a giant load of details about imotski's treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you have awesome pictures. How interesting that no rocks can reach the lake. It sounds amazing to hear that the lake changes the color depending on the time of the day. I would not be able to cross the lake with a rope like that one guy. No, no way! xo Kaho

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...