Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Visiting friends in Zagreb


We knew there was a 99.9777778% chance that it would rain during our stay in Zagreb, and guess what it did! But  that didn't put a damper in our mood and we enjoyed it for several reasons: not only was it my first visit to the capital city, but it was also a reunion for hubby and his friend Iv. (will explain shortly) and we celebrated Iv's  birthday on Saturday night with music, wine and lots of food.


So this is the story about the reunion, 17 years ago there was a music competition in the town of Kastela, there were 48 participants, amongst them  hubby's band. And it came to the final day of the competition when the finalists were to be announced. It was a bitter sweet night for hubby's parents, not only were they proud that their son was amongst the finalists but they also thought about the following day; they were sending their son off to school in the States. So third place was announced, then second, then first place...Hubby's band won! My in-laws  cheered, yet they also  felt a lump in their throat as this was their last celebration before it was time  to say farewell. Hubby went to the States to finish his last year in high school, and the band disintegrated when they lost their lead singer. So fast forward to the year 2010 when Hubby and Iv. (one of the members of the band) reunited to play that special song (for their lovely wives) that placed them in first place when they were juniors in high school. I'm not sure what happened to the other band member? hubby lost contact. So as you can see, it was a very special weekend.

The next day, we woke up to rain but we faced the morning with umbrellas and jackets. Our friends gave us the tour around the downtown area of Zagreb. 

One of the main streets, ILICA street.

As I was walking and looking at the architecture, Mrs Iv. began to tell us about how every day at exactly 12 noon the city fires a cannon. I looked around me and I asked, "where?why?" She  was about to explain when.... BOOM we heard the cannon go off. It caught me off guard and I trembled at the sound of an explosion in the distance.

We got distracted by these pigeons flying above us that we didn't get to hear the details behind the firing of the cannon, but I did a bit or research and here is the scoop, according to history the origin of the reason behind the firing of the cannon varies depending on who tells the story but one thing is for sure, 

every day since 1877 the cannon is right on time at 12 noon, so be prepared for the sound! You can read more about the the Grič cannon here.





 Changing of the guards at St. Mark's square






 Beli enjoying chasing pigeons and stepping on leaves with Luka.









How I had to convince Beli to put on her jacket when she cried and she screamed, "NO JACKET!"

Afterwards we headed back home with two very happy children.




These are some photos I captured from the  road. Tomorrow we're planning to visit the Neanderthal museum in the town of Krapina and hopefully visit the Trakoscan  Castle!

27 comments:

  1. That looks like a great weekend even with the rain and what a great reunion for your hubby:) Love those photos,sweetie
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will enjoy in Krapina (especially museum) and Beli too! You'll see.I was there twice.
    And Trakoscan...in one sentence:if you like castles ( and I think you do) you MUST go there.It could be nicer without rain but, on the other hand, with rain too. Just...you need too see all those colors of wood around castle and lake. And castle...well,just go there! I wish you (sorry, you can't in museum,hm,only hidden!) many good photos.
    BTW,I'm from Varazdin,close to Trakoscan (40km),and I hope one day you'll visit Varazdin too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures make me feel like I'm on vacation there too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how blogging has allowed me to go on tours to places that I've never been!!! Thank you for taking me along to Zagreb!! Rain or no rain, it looked like a beautiful day! And the story of your hubby and Iv brought a tear to my eyes. Friends are friends are friends aren't they?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! It looks like you had a great trip. We always crack up when we drive by the signs saying KRAPina, but we're immature like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! Can I tell you that my favorite vaca has been when it is raining and foggy? I visited Australia like that and Ireland/Scotland. Your vaca looks perfect.

    xo M

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that your hubby got to meet up with an old friend! Zagreb is a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these pictures are so cool - the architecture is awesome! i think that cannon thing would have scared me if i didn't know about it ahead of time1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Photos. I loved St. Mark's square. I'm glad to keep seeing photos of Beli - She keeps growing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant photos, a musical reunion and great commentary. What else can one wish for? Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a gorgeous city! Sounds like you all had a great weekend and that Beli enjoyed herself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely place to visit! Ans such fancy cakes! :)

    P.S. Re to your comment about the old pharmacy in Florence..if you manage some Italian, I can send you a lovely print I got there with all the product's name they make!
    You can send me your address by replying to this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never been to Zagreb myself and it looks like lots of European cities. Small and cute. The kids look adorable, the cakes bigger then they are. What a wonderful cultural experiences you are having. Sometimes tourist know more about the country then the inhabitants and that is certanly true for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet story! The reunion story was very heart warming. The photos of Beli and Luka are are so cute. That dessert! Yum! Zagreb looks like a beautiful place!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos! Kaho

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this post so much. Your pictures are beautiful, and I love the stories that go along with it all :) I'm sure it meant so much to your husband to be back at such a special place! And omg, those cakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A castle next, how magical. It already looks wonderful! And how lovely to meet up with your husband's lost friend...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Diana! hope you come back to read about our trip to the castle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jimy, I hope you don't mind, but I will be using that photo you sent about the castle it was too beautiful not to share. and by the way our friend Iv. his wife is from Varazdin! She was telling us about the castle there and how she would give us a tour next time we visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ I.M Glad you enjoyed the tour!

    @Poetess
    yes agreed!that's what's wonderful about blogsphere you get to travel and discover new places.

    @Jen I had the same impression!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha Alice, yes it's funny to say the name without thinking, hmmm sounds like an english word!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marcie,
    I bet you had amazing photos! The countryside of Ireland and Scotland I can only dream about. I will have to go and visit your blog archives to see those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Tee, yes it was nice to see old friends again. Hey I noticed croatia is on your top 5 countries to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Krystal, I was told 5 minutes before, but the noise of the cannon still made me tremble!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh,oh....I'm so sorry if you understood me wrong,but those photo of Trakoscan is not mine! And if you asking me for sharing link....well,what can I say?! That is too kind of you.Of course I don't mind!
    My few photos of Varazdin(hm,from 2007 year,I think) are on next link:
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/876255
    Well,well...world are really small sometime! Your housband's friend's wife are from my town?Probably she will tell you how much we are proud on our town.That can understand only someone who is from Split, like you are (yes,yes,you are!). Have a nice time.Of course,say hello to my fellow citizen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a great blog. Awesome photos and good content. Croatia is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marvelous pictures! Zagreb have always been a cultural and political focus of Croatia and home to nearly a quarter of the country's population, It offers a amazing tourists attraction. I like the Zagreb Zoo and Maksimir Park most, is a great place to relax and have a long walk by the beautiful lake and the forest area and is a popular place for joggers and cyclists.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...