Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Family time at the farm

I was indoors washing dishes when I heard a bell ringing. I looked outside and saw a group (herd) of sheep feeding on the front yard of Grandma's home. I noticed one black sheep and I quickly grabbed my camera and ran outside. 

Even Beli came out with Great-Grandma to look at them.
I tried to be as quiet as possible,but one sheep was always keeping an eye on me.


Seeing the one black sheep reminded me of my genetics class back in college. Remembering something about..."the recessive  gene and if a white ram and a white ewe are parents of a black lamb, both must be heterozygous for black, so there is a 25% chance that the lamb will be black."  I always had fun working with the Punnett square.




I took a few more photos then went back inside to resume my household chores. One of them was making sure the stove always had wood to keep the house warm. 


Beli loves to color and draw and she convinced Great-Grandma to join her. It was more of a demand, because Great-Grandma insisted she didn't know how and Beli screamed in Croatian, "BAKA, ZNAM!"(Grandma, you know how!) I even got it on video.



16 comments:

  1. These pictures/video made me smile. Thank you. P.S. I see your brain is working again after a little rest. 25% chance huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have run into sheep heards with a black one and it always amazes me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Beli is adorable, and her Croatian is coming along beautifully. Such an adorable video. Thumbs up for the great grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh how amazing that there was a black one too...How lucky! Those photos really made my day:) So cool
    Kisses,darling

    Ps: I am hosting a ban.do headband GIVEAWAY today! Please, join in!

    (its very sweet)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet!!! And how nice to put a little Beli voice with all of the pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I.M. haha yes can't stay away from doing math calculations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jelena, she speaks better Croatian than me. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krystal, it's amazing right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poetess , could you hear her screaming ZNAM! (you know!) She can be very convincing.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely sheep - very cute photos! Passing by to say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it! the sheeps, Beli and her great-grand ma! It's really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know what i have just realised (and this is how bad my brain works...) half the time i leave comments they don't post, cause I forget to write the "weird word" thingy... (word identification...) i really think i need to do something for my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures of the sheep! You still remember so much about genetics- all I remember is the monk and the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Olga, good to see you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Babs, that has happened to me as well! I think I have 'fast' fingers hehe. I didn't use to have word verification on my blog but then I began receiving spam so I had to install it. I know it may be a pain to go the extra step, which is why I appreciate each and every comment I receive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your husband's grandma looks like a grandma from a story book. I adore the way she dresses. Your photos are beautiful. What a wonderful gift you're giving to Beli by keeping those memories for her. I miss my grandma and I wish I had more photos and videos with her. Your photos made me want to visit the country side of Croatia.

    How interesting about black sheep! It's like having a blue-eye child. Two brown-eyed parents who carry a recessive gene for blue eye can have a child with blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...