10 Tips for Incorporating Figs in your Diet
- Eat dries figs as a healthy energy snack. For extra flavour and nutrients, stuff them with nuts and a little honey.
- Add figs to baked goods such as muffins, cakes and muesli bars.
- Add dried or fresh figs to porridge, oatmeal or breakfast cereals.
- Stew dried figs in fruit juice with other dried fruits to make a delicious fruit salad. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg before serving.
- Poach figs in red wine or fruit juice and serve with Greek yogurt or creme fraiche.
- Add quartered fresh figs to a salad of fennel, rocket and parmesan cheese.
- Stuff fresh figs with goat's cheese and chopped almonds and serve as an appetizer or dessert.
- Make a fig butter by boiling dried figs in fruit juice until soft. When all the liquid has been absorbed, place the mixture in a food processor and blend until smooth. Use to spread on rice cakes, toast or crackers.
- Add chopped fresh figs to rice, quinoa or couscous dishes.
- Make a fig tart by grinding two handfuls of walnuts in a food processor. Add one packet of dried figs, 1/2 packet raisins, 200ml apple juice, 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, 2 tablespoons honey and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Process until the mixture is the texture of a sticky paste. Press into a pastry case and bake at a medium heat for 35 minutes.
And if you want to learn more about the health benefits of eating figs you can click here or here. I didn't realize this fun fact about figs, "...in some parts of southern Europe, figs are thrown at newlyweds much like rice is thrown in some countries." Well I don't know anybody getting married plus I don't live in Morocco so I won't be throwing figs at anyone. I think I will stick to eating them. How about you, do you like figs, any special recipes you would like to share?