Monday, February 15, 2010

Lost and in search of the bookstore

A few days ago my friend mentioned that she had recently discovered a used bookshop in Split and told me it was worth a visit. Many of the bookstores in the city including the library have a limited selection of books in English so I was curious to see what this shop had to offer.

This morning I strapped Beli on her stroller and off we went to find the bookstore. The directions as told by my friend, "Walk past the Tonik Juice bar and continue walking until you see on your left a music shop and across the street is a courtyard, you can't miss it." I thought, how hard can it be to find it right? Wrong!

Let's just say that I don't have a good sense of direction. After a few minutes of walking I realized that maybe, just maybe I was lost because the street I was walking on began going uphill and Beli and I were heading towards Marjan Hill, away from the downtown area.


Beli surprisingly didn't complain about her bumpy ride as I went down the cobblestone steps. I asked a few people for directions only to be told to go to the Diocletian Palace where all the bookstores where located. But I was looking for the used bookstore, I tried to explain in Croatian, except I only knew the words for book and shop. We finally turned around and stopped at the juice bar and the girl said, "oh yes, I know that shop, it's only a few minutes away!"


The shop Antiquariat, is tucked away at the end of the courtyard with an orange tree near the entrance. I stepped inside and literally, my mouth dropped. I couldn't believe the size of this shop. Books decorated the front wall! A beautiful staircase on the left corner of the room. I felt like a kid inside a candy shop, didn't know where to start! I asked the owner if she had Engleski knige and she replied with a grin on her face, "yes we have English books."


I scanned the shelves while Beli patiently waited.


I walked away with three books for 90 kunas!($18 dollars) and the owner said that when I finish reading the books I can return them for a partial store credit.






I have a feeling I will be spending many hours inside this lovely shop!




21 comments:

  1. Gosh I love the full sun and the views of the street. That bookstore looks well-stocked, and I like how you can return the books and get a little fee back! (Very much like book renting, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulous find that shop is! I could just move in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juanita..Yeah isn't it a great idea to buy/sell books? Sort of recycling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I thought the same thing! Oh I love books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To have in february a such a wonderful weather, to walk on such a beautiful streets with the best friend, namely the delicate Bali ;),to a such a soulfully place...that could be a small piece of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that bookstore is charming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness! It must have felt like magic to find such an amazing bookstore in such a village-like setting (and how beautiful a setting, too!)

    Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found on my travels that a bookstore like this can be 'my' make or break! and in most of the places I have spent extended time, I have been lucky to find such a place to escape to and feel rested :-) I'm glad you have found one yourself... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mihaela, yes when I saw this shop my heart smiled!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear G,
    I was joyfully surprised..I can't get enough of books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alice,
    I can't thank my friend enough for mentioning this small hidden jewel. It's really a "feel" good place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great place! There used to be one dealing with English books only just when you come off the steps when going to the bus terminal and one FABULOUS one near Zlatna Vrata where I spent many, many kunas on rare old books... Closed now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alan, I do hope they keep this one open. It's a shame that the other two closed. Books are a treasure and I can't wait to begin discovering the shelves of this inviting shop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to find shops like these. I love books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you are enjoying the small streets of Split!

    California reminds me in so many ways of Dalmatia! :)

    Croatian Ex-pat to Northern California

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Elisa, It was nice to hear from you on my blog. I am so glad to hear others relate to the struggles and that I am not alone and crazy! This book store truly is a gem! Your daughter is beautiful and look forward to reading more from you! Like how you decided to grow your celery root!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the shops looks l-o-v-e-l-y! I totally understand you on this one! :)

    And thanks for reminding me of my own walks on Marjan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You welcome! hopefully when you are back to visit, you will still find it open.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you give me the address of this bookstore?
    My husband and I will be in Split tomorrow, and his Kindle Reader just broke.
    We need to find a bookstore for him that sells English books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know the exact address but if you go to the Prokurative (off Marmontova street)one end is the hotel Bellevue and the other end is a restaurant you turn left from the restaurant and go under the arch (on the restaurant side), then you take an immediate left, walk a few feet and you want to cross the street and you will see a bay window with maternity clothes, you will also see a music shop after that, and right across that music shop is the sign for the Antiquariat bookshop. You can also shop at the larger bookstore Profil, there is one inside the palace and one at Joker Shopping Center address (Put Brodarice 6 21000 Split.
    Tel: 00385 21/396-911)

    hopes this information helps

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...