Monday, July 12, 2010

Lunch by the river


On Saturday we arranged to have lunch in the town of Omis with some friends who were visiting from Boston.

It's about 25 km south of Split yet it took us a little over an hour to arrive. Traffic tends to be heavy during this time of year as it's the only road that connects Split with Dubrovnik. But the drive was truly spectacular.

Did you know the Omis Pirates once ruled the Adriatic Sea ? According to its history.."All of Dalmatia, except Omis, fell under the Venetian Republic, the most powerful naval force of those times! Surrounded by the enemy and left completely alone, the Pirates managed to defend themselves for 24 years until the year 1444 when Omis fell into the hands of Venetia."

We managed to see the remains of a fortress perched high above the canyon.

Another interesting fact about Omis, it's located between the Cetina River and the Adriatic Sea. You notice the change of color of the water? Hubby told me he remembered swimming as a kid on the river and the temperature was much colder than the sea.

As you drive into the town's center, there's a small bridge and it's here where the river empties into the Adriatic sea.
At the Restoran Radmanove Mlinice where we had a lovely lunch. Prices were reasonable and the food was delicious. If you're ever in the area I recommend you try their freshly baked bread.
Beli playing ball with our friends' son.


Wouldn't it be wonderful to have this shelter in your backyard? After lunch it was still early in the day to drive to the beach. We rented a couple of sun umbrellas for 15 kunas each (less than 3 dollars) for the entire afternoon!
From the beach, Beli could see the town of Omis in the distance.


What are these? "Wouldn't you feel claustrophobic inside?" I wondered.
Some shells we collected from the beach. How did you spend your weekend?


12 comments:

  1. Partly through your blog, I have started planting the seed for a trip to Croatia. Watch out for us next summer in a cafe near you! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you, I will be looking forward to having a cup of coffee with you. How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning adventure and a perfect place to lunch. The views...oh my...even through pics they took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Cat! thanks for stopping by,I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun photos! Those water shots are just gorgeous. I enjoyed getting to see these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you continue to impress me with your stunning photos, looks like you all enjoyed a fabulous outing...and so very luck to have the backdrop you have, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Genny,It's a joy to share the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks positively amazing. those cliffs are insane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Housewife, aww thank you. that's very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. coming to your blog is like dreaming... so much history and beautiful places non stop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures you took are very nice.. I am planning to go to Croatia next year with my family. Are there locals who are willing to take us in different famous places in Croatia?

    Also, I wanted to know about airfare and tour packages...I was moved by the pictures I see in this blog. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Croatia thanks for stopping by and commenting. I know of two people who have tours. What region are you intending on visiting? Are you flying within Europe? Send me an email and I will be more than happy to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...